Fire Damages Kirksville Home

A fire yesterday damaged the Alpha Sigma Alpha house, “Big Red,” at 407 E. Pierce St. in Kirksville. Officials say the six people inside got out safely. Kirksville Fire Department was called about 2pm, after the residents smoke and the smoke detectors went off. The fire started in a bedroom, says Kirksville Fire Chief Randy Behrens, who added the fire was electrical in nature. A short believed to have been caused by an air conditioner, a fan, and a laptop computer plugged into one circuit is believed to be the root cause of the blaze. There is smoke damage throughout the house, and water damage on the first floor.