Batterson Methadone Death

We now know what led to the tragic death of a Truman State University freshman back in September.

The Adair County Coroner’s office says a toxicology report showed 18 year old William Batterson of Richmond, Missouri died from an accidental overdose of methadone. Batterson’s roommates found him unresponsive in his bed in September. He was rushed to Northeast Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. Methadone a synthetic analgesic drug that is similar to morphine in its effects but longer acting, used as a substitute drug in the treatment of morphine and heroin addiction. There’s no evidence that Batterson used heroin. Investigators say Batterson told friends he got methadone from someone in St. Louis the weekend prior to his death, but it’s unclear who sold or gave Batterson the methadone.