Gas Leaks Force Some from Kirksville Apartments

Gas leaks forced some Kirksville residents out of their homes yesterday afternoon. The the Kirksville Fire Department responded to a call of smoke in the furnace area in an apartment complex on South Marion. Crews determined the gas furnace had been on fire, but was out. A short time later, tenants in two other apartments reported gas leaks, and Battalion Chief David Rigdon saw a second furnace burst into flames. He says the fire was caused by the pilot light on a water heater igniting the gas that had leaked. 3 of 8 apartments experienced damage – mostly smoke. The Red Cross is assisting those people. Liberty Utilities crews will be at the apartment complex today to further investigate.